1. And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great Prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Note.-- Comparison of Daniel 10:21 with John 5:25-29 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16 shows that Michael is none other than our Lord Jesus Christ. Commenting on Daniel 10:13, Dr. Clarke says, in part: "Michael, He who is like God, sometimes appears to signify the Messiah, at other times the highest or chief archangel. Indeed, there is no archangel mentioned in the whole Scripture but this one. See Jude 9; Rev. 12:7."
2. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
3. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.
NOTE: Tsadaq is the Hebrew word used here for "turn many to righteousness." See note on Daniel 8:14 where Tsadaq is translated "CLEANSED" meaning to cause to make right, to cleanse, to clear, to justify, to turn to righteousness. In Daniel 8 it is proclaiming how long before the Most Holy Day, the Sabbath would be made right, and here in Daniel 12, it is used to show that those who proclaim the Sabbath will shine in Heaven.
4. But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
5. Then I Daniel looked, and , behold, there stood other two, the one on this side of the bank of the river, and the other on that side of the bank of the river.
6. And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders?
7. And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth forever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.
NOTE: It will be for a [time = 1 year; times = 2 years; and 1/2 year plus the time it will take to scatter the holy people before all these things shall be finished. See note for Daniel 12:11.
8. And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
9. And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
10. Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
11. And from the time that the daily (Sabbath) (sacrifice not in original) shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
The abomination that makes desolate is described in Isaiah 24:5,6, "The earth also is defiled (morally corrupted) under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws (torah: God's statutes and especially the Ten Commandments), changed the ordinance (the set time= Sabbath), broken the everlasting covenant (perpetual covenant= Sabbath). Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate:"
NOTE: The angel states this time period for Daniel twice, in verse 7 and 11, so there will be no mistake. A time, times, and an half plus the time it will take to scatter the holy people is the same as 1290 days. See Revelation 11 also.
12. Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.
NOTE: There is an additional forty-five days for the people of God to wait as they witness the plagues poured out on the disobedient. Psalm 91 will be fulfilled at this time. In the previous type there was forty days of rain after the door of mercy was closed at the time of the flood. "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Matthew 24:37.
NOTE: In another "type" of history, Constantine made a law in 321 A.D. which took away the Sabbath. Exactly 1290 years later, great truth was brought back to the common people with the printing of the "Authorized 1611 King James Version Bible." After a thirty year war, Thomas Pride arranged for the trial of the Catholic sympathizer, King Charles I, who was executed. Thomas Pride was knighted by the Protector in 1656 and was made a member of the new House of Lords, as a reward for the part he played in this work.
13. But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.
Note.-- Time and events have opened the book in large measure to our understanding. The "time of the end" has come, knowledge increases, and men are running to and fro. The whole world is opened to receive the light of the gospel. Christ said: "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Matt. 24:14. Christ will come in power and glory, and the everlasting kingdom will be established, as declared in these prophecies of truth. The prophecies of Daniel bid us who live today to be ready for the last great day, our sins forgiven, our lives hid in Christ Jesus our Saviour. The message of Daniel the prophet is for all mankind today.